The Church Year and the Lectionary Commentary – 27th Ordinary (Day 2)



Psalm 26
 
26 Establish justice for me, Lord,
    because I have walked with integrity.
    I’ve trusted the Lord without wavering.
Examine me, Lord; put me to the test!
    Purify my mind and my heart.
Because your faithful love is right in front of me—
    I walk in your truth!
I don’t spend time with people up to no good;
    I don’t keep company with liars.
I detest the company of evildoers,
    and I don’t sit with wicked people.
I wash my hands—they are innocent!
    I walk all around your altar, Lord,
        proclaiming out loud my thanks,
        declaring all your wonderful deeds!
I love the beauty of your house, Lord;
    I love the place where your glory resides.
Don’t gather me up with the sinners,
    taking my life along with violent people
10     in whose hands are evil schemes,
    whose strong hands are full of bribes.
11 But me? I walk with integrity.
    Save me! Have mercy on me!
12 My feet now stand on level ground.
    I will bless the Lord in the great congregation.

Psalm 26 from The Message:

26 Clear my name, God;
    I’ve kept an honest shop.
I’ve thrown in my lot with you, God, and
    I’m not budging.
    Examine me, God, from head to foot,
    order your battery of tests.
Make sure I’m fit
    inside and out
    So I never lose
    sight of your love,
But keep in step with you,
    never missing a beat.
4-5     I don’t hang out with tricksters,
    I don’t pal around with thugs;
I hate that pack of gangsters,
    I don’t deal with double-dealers.
6-7     I scrub my hands with purest soap,
    then join hands with the others in the great circle,
    dancing around your altar, God,
Singing God-songs at the top of my lungs,
    telling God-stories.
8-10     God, I love living with you;
    your house glows with your glory.
When it’s time for spring cleaning,
    don’t sweep me out with the quacks and crooks,
Men with bags of dirty tricks,
    women with purses stuffed with bribe-money.
11-12     You know I’ve been aboveboard with you;
    now be aboveboard with me.
I’m on the level with you, God;
    I bless you every chance I get.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?