Exuberant Exegesis

N. T. Wright calls for us to practice an “exuberant exegesis” of scripture.  For me, this has come to mean three things.

1. an exacting mind

I want to find out as much about the text’s ancient context and background as I need to “get it” in its original context and larger canonical setting.

2. an expansive heart

I want to hear a word that grows my heart, which seems perpetually “two sizes too small” like the Grinch who stole Christmas, to love, lament, mourn, pray more faithfully.

3. an excited imagination

I want God’s story in scripture to more and more become my “default” way of seeing my life in the world and to imagine and improvise more faithful performances of the gospel in it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?