Gays win historic gay marriage battle - it's just a shame they picked the wrong fight.


Image Credit: G-Day

Published by: Robert Laurie on Friday June 26th, 2015


Another take.
I'll get this out of the way right up front.  A lot of you aren't going to like what I have to say. However, the boss doesn't pay me to tell you what you want to hear - or even what he wants to hear.  My job is to offer my opinion.  Dan gave you the social conservative reaction here, and my take is going to be substantially different. So here we go:

The Supreme Court got the gay marriage ruling right.

I know, social-cons hate it, but the SCOTUS made the right call under the equal protection clause.
I've written - for years - that the GOP's knee jerk desire to legislate morality has been both a mistake and massive failure. You're either for freedom and individual liberty, or you're not. I'll fight tooth and nail for your right to live your life and raise your families as you see fit, but your absolute right to do so ends when you use those morals to limit the secular rights of others.

It's the difference between acting upon your own personal freedom and forcing your beliefs on everyone else. This, of course, works both ways. So, when a gay couple tries to sue a Christian bakery for refusing to bake a cake, I'll support the bakery - just as I'll support the right of the couple to be a couple. When (not if) LGBT activists and left-wing politicians try to use today's ruling as a springboard for attacks on religious institutions, we'll be having a different conversation. In it, I'll be defending those institutions and their 1st Amendment rights.

Read more at http://www.caintv.com/gays-win-gay-marriage-battle-i

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Parable of the Talents – A View from the Other Side

Spikenard Sunday/Palm Sunday by Kurt Vonnegut

Am I A Conservative?